Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Meaning of Faith and How to Apply It

by Lester Rennard

If you were to ask different people from all walks of life and religious influences the meaning of faith, you would certainly be surprised at the answers you might receive. Someone explained that faith is a leap in the dark. One biblical writer explained that it is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seem. Still another explained that faith without works is dead. I would like to share my ideas and conviction and welcome your comments.

I believe faith to be a synergistic combination of vision, conviction, trust, action, fortitude and perseverance. To have and apply faith, I must first have a vision of something that I desire. It may be the desire to achieving a certain level of qualification and competence in my chosen career. It could also be the desire to overcoming a spiritual defect or stronghold that is paralyzing my spiritual walk; or the desire to have a certain amount of material resources to accomplish something important to me.

I must then have a compelling conviction that my vision can be transformed into reality. I will make sure that this vision is not just a pipe dream or the substance of what nightmares are made of, but it is something that is possible to accomplish. The knowledge and confidence of the possibility of that vision becoming a reality reinforces my conviction or belief. I must then move a step further in believing that that possibility can become my reality. If the vision is to achieve a certain level of qualification and competence in my career, I must believe that it is something that is possible for me to accomplish. I must begin to see myself living the reality of my vision since without a vision, there can be no birth to possibility.


My conviction will then lead me into the exercise of trust. By this point, I would have the knowledge as to what it will take for my vision to become a reality. I must begin to set goals, explore options and make solid plans to transform this vision into reality. I must develop the confidence in my ability to order all the forces that be to cooperate in my favor and to support my vision and conviction. I will also create an atmosphere that will neutralize all the negative forces that are bound to resist my efforts in trying to defeat and discourage me. I must also trust in divine providence to aid me on this journey from vision to reality.

I must now burst through the starting gate into action by implementing my carefully designed plans in laying the foundation and building the infrastructure upon which my vision will transform itself into reality. I will enroll into that career educational program and apply myself diligently to study, experiment and apply the knowledge gained to enrich my experience. In order to overcome that spiritual defect, I will spend time in the Word, prayer, meditation and fasting. I will begin to make those choices that will help rather than hinder me and will choice to avoid walking in any path that might not lead me into victory. For achieving resources, I will put my plans into action and begin to do the work designed to bring about the needed resources.

In pursuing my plans, I will understand that because I am living in an imperfect world that is programmed negatively, I will need to exercise the courage to withstand those negative forces that will be unleashed against and intent on defeating me. Like a duck in the rain, I will oil my feathers to cause the water to roll off and prevent the rain from getting to my skin. I will learn to deflect the criticisms and neutralize the evil schemes of those naysayers who wander aimlessly along the sidelines as I follow my dream on my path to the destination of actual reality.

Finally, I will persevere and refuse to give up regardless of the obstacles that are thrown in my way. I will keep my eyes steadfast on the prize and allow nothing to distract me until I have grasped it by crossing the finish line. I will respect nothing that will try to convince me to abandon my dream and will run my race with patience until the reality of my vision is in full view and I become united with that reality. When this becomes my experience, then I can truly say that I know and understand the meaning of faith and how to apply it.

Copyright (c) 2006, by Lester Rennard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home